The Patrol Division is organized into four squads, with two squads working day and night, twelve hour shifts. Each squad consists of a Sergeant and their Officers the squads are overseen by a Patrol Captain. The Patrol Division is the main uniformed branch of the Police Department and the Officers on patrol are responsible primarily for responding to and handling calls for service. Patrol officers also take part in special events and assignments such as Traffic Enforcement, DWI Enforcement, Bicycle Patrol and Crime Prevention. Our K-9 Unit also assists our Patrol division with narcotic investigations and search/apprehension.
The primary job of the Patrol Division is to serve and protect the community. This involves handling all calls for service in addition to patrolling the city in order to prevent crime, handle traffic accidents and violations and all types of emergency calls. Patrol officers are often used on special assignments which may vary from DUI Sobriety Checkpoints, surveillances and serving of search warrants.
If you need a Police Officer 24 hours a day 7 days a week call the Jackson County Dispatch Center at 816-795-1960.
When a vacancy exists, The City of Grain Valley will post a Job Vacancy notice for Applications for the position of Police Officer. Applicants are required to have, or obtain by the time of appointment, a “Class A” Peace Officer License in the State of Missouri.
Additional Police Officer Qualifications:
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Valid Missouri Drivers License
- 21 years of age
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Knowledge of pertinent Federal, State and Local laws and ability to interpret them
- Organizational and time management skills
- Ability to complete firearms certification
- Skills to resolve situations characterized by conflict and danger
- Successful completion of written and oral examination, background investigation that includes fingerprinting and criminal record check, psychological exam, polygraph or voice analysis test, and physical examination to include drug screening
- $37,003 – $47,548 Salary Range
- Holiday Pay
- 8 hours vacation per month that progressively increases with years of service
- Paid Health, Life and Dental insurance for employees
- LAGERS non-contributory Retirement System
- Educational Assistance
- Sick Leave
- Funeral Leave
- Uniforms that include a firearm
Grain Valley Police Department
711 Main Street
Grain Valley, MO 64029